Thursday, September 24, 2009

Johnny Boy Ribs (6/10) - 7540 Crain Hwy, La Plata, MD 20646

After eating my soft serve cone at Carl's, I had two choices on how to get back to DC:  go north on I-95, one of the most congested interstates in the country, or head east towards King George before heading north over the Harry Nice Bridge in almost the exact reverse route that John Wilkes Boothe took while fleeing DC.

Justin Stutler has been hyping KG ever since I met him in 2005 - I had to see what it was all about.  Not much.  Every store is called King George _____.   Fill in the blank yourself and I can assure you that the place exists.  King George Pharmacy.  King George Tire.  King George Termite Control.  King George Pizza.  The combinations are endless for a town with absolutely nothing going on but stores.

I traveled through town in about 8 minutes and finally crossed into Maryland over the Harry Nice Bridge.  While driving north I stumbled across a shack to the right of the road called Johnny Boy Ribs  advertising barbecue.  I pulled off, and ordered a sliced pork sandwich even though I was concerned about my lack of appetite. The pork was sliced thin and piled high on a soft bun.  I pulled a slice out of the sandwich and it had a great taste.  With a new found excitement, I reached for the spicier of the two sauces on the table and put a good portion of it on my sandwich.  It did not disappoint.  I ate through the pain and finished my sandwich in the matter of seconds.

As I pulled out of the lot, I realized that this shack was a smaller restaurant utilized by the larger restaurant during the lunch hours.  If I'm ever in the area again, I'd definitely be interested in trying more of its food.      I am grateful to Johnny Boy for making my day worthwhile after the two restaurants in Fredericksburg almost made it miserable.

On my final leg of the journey back to DC I came across the best bumper that I've ever seen in my life.  Too soon?

Johnny Boy Carryout on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Reviews

In order to provide a consistent grading standard across each restaurant/region, I order a barbecue pork sandwich (and other meats/sides if a restaurant/region specializes in another specialty). In addition to comparing the quality of food, I will also take into consideration other intangibles (ambiance, atmosphere, service, authenticity, etc.) in my ratings as I deem appropriate.

Basically, a 10/10 represents an incredible meal, while a 6/10 score indicates a decent dining experience but a substantial number of dishes fell short of great. Lower scores indicate unpleasant experiences which I would most likely not even recommend to my worst enemy (Jonas Singer).

I reserve the right to continuously edit/update previous posts and to change rating scores as I see fit.